Saturday, March 14, 2020

March Madness

2020 St. Paddy's Day Shirt for Kay! I will rock this shirt  . . . I'm just not sure where . . .  


No news is good news! Life is quiet right now . . . except for all the chaos going on in the world!

Mom is doing well. John invited us over for lunch last weekend. He has invited us before over the last few months but Mom either was tired, or didn't sleep well, or just didn't feel up to the trip when the day came. And honestly, getting Mom out voluntarily in the winter is hard! Well, last Saturday she surprised us all and we had a nice visit and lunch over at John's. Always nice to see his weird and amusing kitties. Mom hadn't been out for ages, except to routine doctor's appointments, so it felt good to get her out.  She did very well. And some fresh air can do wonders for you.

Joe is well too, and takes excellent care of Mom. I wish he'd quit the ciggies, but gosh, that is so hard.

I had been sort of polling my friends and co-workers, to see if they were "Deniers" or "Preppers" (Reddit terms), and I think most of them were Deniers until very recently. I made jokes to my friends that I was ready, I had picked up some chocolate chips and some vodka, but in reality I fell somewhere in between, and had started picking up a few extra things weeks ago when doing my regular shopping. Then one night I was looking at photos of people's stockpiles on Reddit, and got a little nervous, so I placed a pick-up order at Walmart and did an Amazon pantry order, so I was spared any last minute grocery trips the last few days. I wanted to have some easy heat and eat things on hand just in case we do get sick. I suppose a real "prepper" would be amused by my pantry, but it sure makes me feel better. And I already had a good supply of paper goods on hand so I have not contributed to the TP shortage! I really feel for the people who do not have the means or transport to lay by some extra things without undue hardship.  I am one of the lucky ones, I know.

Mom and I were laughing about the freezer. We all like soup, and there were cheap hams at Jewel a few weeks back, so I grabbed a couple, so then over a few weeks I ended up with nice meaty ham bones. Soup freezes so well I made extra, so I have split pea soup, ham and beans, and 15 bean soup in there.  Too bad Bernie is gone, he would love all that bean soup! LOL Now there is no room in freezer for any freezer pandemic (junk food) goodies because of all the healthy soups and chunks of ham.  And NOBODY is in the mood for more bean soup! It will taste good again soon, I'm sure. And too bad if it doesn't, we are eating it anyway!

I feel eventually we will all be housebound for a while and, while I am dreading it, my biggest fear is bringing something home to Mom, so I will probably be relieved when it happens. It will be a problem for Joe to stay home, he likes to get out a few times a day, but even he is starting to acknowledge that he will have to change his ways for a while.

I have plenty of food for Finnegan too. I would not want to stress him out. When I left today he was sprawled in the middle of mom's bed taking up a tremendous amount of room and she was contorting herself so as to not disturb him! Amuses me to no end.




I am at John's this weekend and was hoping to pick up some weekend deals at Kroger, but now I'm not even sure I want to go there. They probably don't have any mega sales goodies left anyway. I might be done with grocery stores for a while. The parking lot was a little scary today. I have an interesting list, including sauerkraut and rye bread . . . luckily I picked up corned beef before things got too crazy! Bernie's favorite. March 9th was Mom and Dad's 61st anniversary.

Stay safe and well. It is coming near, cases in Springfield today. If anybody needs any TP or a can of beans (or bean soup!) just whistle! ☘

No comments:

Post a Comment