Sunday, October 9, 2022

October



Hera and Isis getting cozy. Good thing that bed expands. Until Isis went to squeeze in it looked like Hera was filling it up herself. I was surprised today when John told me he was thinking about turning on his heat to take the chill off this a.m. Usually heat is a hard no for him until November. The kitties have been sitting by the silent, cold heat vents already. I got the heated throw out for them Friday when I went to John's house. 

The guy is supposed to come check our furnace tomorrow. I had picked up a space heater a couple years ago when the furnace was acting up, but never opened the box. Well, it has come in handy because mom gets cold. It has been nice keeping her toasty and not dying of heat myself. 

Anyway, I had taken my car in Friday for an oil change, also had a headlight out. Was waiting and got called back pretty quick, uh oh. Not good, not my first car. The nice girl there showed me a photo of some pink cotton candy under my hood. Oh wait, not candy, leaking coolant, hose problems. The mechanic poured in some coolant and it came right out. I guess I was lucky not to have encountered difficulties. Anyway who gives someone a free loaner for their 12 year old Toyota Rav 4? Bill Walsh Toyota, that's who! How nice is that. And yes, I will likely buy a new car there . . . some day lol. Parts will be in the end of the week. 

My loaner, a 2022 White Toyota Avalon is very fancy pants. Very. It is also a lot lower then my little SUV. It would be fine with me if no one sees me getting in or out of it. Ever. The car even tries to help me, moving the seat back and raising me up a bit, which was surprising when you are not expecting your car to move you around when you shut it off. Nice try car. When I first saw it I said oh no. The girl was surprised, asked me what was wrong. I asked her if she didn't have some old piece of crap to loan me so I did not get the New Car Fever. She did not. 

I felt like Bernie in 1984 when he was too nervous to drive home his new 1984 Chevy Citation  (The Ci --- who got The Ci and who got the Nova, that was the question in the 80s at the Mallaney household) from Joliet and I had to go with him to pick it up and drive it home. I do not buy fancy pants cars. I guess I have some of The Bernie in me (cheap!). Once I figured out how to start it (pushing the button), I was off. I got the radio on after a while. I adjusted the seat and the lumbar dohickey for my comfort. I'm sure that camera is very nice, but it is hard to see while I'm turned around, backing out. I saw the button for the heated seat this a.m. once I figured out blue is cold and red is warm it was a lot nicer.

Mom is no longer Crab Ass Bitch, praise Jesus. She is in a good mood, food tastes good again, everything is delicious. She is agreeable. Whew. I think maybe the maintenance antibiotic for the UTI prevention is helping. Since  mom is having a good spell I have had some outings. 

I guess John and I were lucky we did not encounter any mechanical difficulties when we went to the Dane County Farmer's Market last weekend. It is always a fun trip. We stopped in Roscoe at Sophia's Family Restaurant on the way. I highly recommend it. All the waitresses seemingly have been working there forever, I love places like that. The waitress got a big tip from me after telling me I was charming with a good sense of humor. I mean I already knew that, but it is always nice to hear. I had no trouble ordering, Irish Skillet anyone? The waitress told me it was very good and that it is better if you swap out the tomatoes for green pepper, tomatoes just do not go. So of course I did that. She nodded her head approvingly when I ordered my eggs over medium and rye toast, so I knew I had done the right thing. John surprised me by not ordering immediately, the waitress had to come back. I mean that is just weird. Then he orders honey mustard chicken breast. What? That is just weird for him. Waitress asks him what side he wants, and he thinks about it (that is weird too), and then orders hash browns. Who is this person? Then a lady got the Heimlich Maneuver. She seemed fine after, enjoying her meal. John was watching and he was not at all sure this lady needed the maneuver. All this time this guy who is right in my line of sight is staring at me, I mean I tried to look away, but he is right there. He keeps looking at me. I'm not in his line of sight, he  has to turn his head. He is eating with his wife. John gets up to go to the bathroom and here comes this man over to me. He says "How are things in Florida!?" and Kay is thinking what the hell this is Illinois sir, and I just sit there with my wtf wide-eyed confused smile? Then he cracks up and tells me I look just like his sister who lives in Florida! Oh boy. Then he shows me a photo of her and gosh my first thought was gosh I look better than I thought! So that is good for a laugh gosh. Then our food comes, and you know how some places do it, John gets this huge platter with his chicken breast, another plate with hash browns, and a little bowl of corn. He tastes the chicken and seemingly approves. Cuts it all up, then dumps his hash browns on there. I'm watching this bemusedly, understanding the combining of foods, we get that from Mom. Then I see this lady across the aisle watching him too. She is smiling. Then John looks at his plate, and decides to dump the corn on. Now the lady across the aisle is laughing. I'm watching too, meanwhile I'm ketchuping and peppering my hash and eggs. John tosses all this food together, then has a moment of thought, then puts ketchup on the whole thing. Now the lady is a little wide eyed and I'm cracking up. John, in his own little world, contemplates his plate and then puts on a liberal amount of hot sauce. I thought the lady was gonna lose it then. LOLOL  It just seemed right that I offer him some rye toast to go with his concoction. He appeared to enjoy it and our neighbor enjoyed the show as well. That was fun. My skillet was delicious. Corned beef in the morning is always good.

Got together with some old friends, had fun, drank beer, laughed, yada yada yada finally got Covid with one of my other chums. Two of the others had just gotten over it and the other works at hospital checking people in, she was fine! Very mild case for my well vaccinated self, and somehow Mom and Joe didn't get it. Worked from home for a few days.

Mom's 85th is coming up in November.  

I must go put on a roast for Sunday dinner. Cool weather calls for Sunday roast and mashed taters. 

Best to all, and Happy Fall!

Kay 





No comments:

Post a Comment