Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Aunt Joan

Incredibly Aunt Joan passed away one week to the day after Dad, and her funeral was today, one week after Dad's. The oldest and youngest sibling passed in one week's time.  Aunt Joan was not well at Dad's service, but her girls told me today she was bound and determined to make it to Dad's funeral, and she did. Mallaneys are stubborn. Mallaneys are tough. Her service was beautiful, her son gave a wonderful memorial, it was lovely, a grand tribute. A sad day to be sure, but how lovely it is that you can see bits of her in her children, grandchildren and great grandchildren; her beautiful, quick smile and gorgeous eyes, and her warm and welcoming ways. 

Dad, in his dementia, seeking his family, often asked, "Where are the little kids?" Well one of those little kids was Aunt Joan. They are together now.

Not much else. Still getting used to the new normal. It was weird to be in the car heading to Coal City without Bernie! Mom, to my delight, stole Dad's line and said "Look at how big that field is! You can't see the end of it!" LOL We all had a laugh in our sadness. Some funny Dad stories at the dinner today too. I guess that is how you get through sadness. One of my good friends lost her Dad, and when I was going through the line at the wake, after I had seen him in all the pictures, I told her that I was very sad and sorry that he was gone, but almost every time I thought of him, I ended up laughing. That happens a lot when I think of Dad. I think that is a good way to be remembered.

Anyway . . . . John and I went to Starved Rock this weekend and saw some Eagles on the river. Sunshine and fresh air is always good for whatever ails you!

One last thing . . . after Dad's funeral dinner (delicious! thanks Mar!) we were lucky to have some leftovers, including roast beef and some delicious breads (pumpkin - yum!). Well, while I was at John's this weekend, Joe apparently made a roast beef sandwich . . . on pumpkin bread! LOL  He thought it was whole wheat bread! LOL  And yes, he finished it!

Kay :)




No comments:

Post a Comment