Saturday, July 11, 2015

Happy (Early) Birthday John!

I drove Mom and Joe to Streator today, and we had lunch to celebrate John's 49th birthday coming up on the 13th.  49!! Wow.

The Birthday Boy and Hera! I was tickled to see that the sick kitten had put on a little weight, had some spring in her step, and bright eyes! She rolled onto her back for a tummy rub when Mom greeted her too!  She seemed more active and, overall, much improved since I last saw her. Her sister, the ever elusive Isis, hid for most of the visit. I did get my hands on her a couple times though. In trying to tempt Hera's appetite there have been some dietary changes for the kitties. Instead of their grain free low carb diet, all dry food, there is an array of canned foods, treats, different varieties of dry food, all sorts of goodies. Isis sees John paying a lot of attention to Hera, trying to get her to eat, and praising her when she does eat and Isis is no dummy! She is very happy to show John she can eat! LOL  The formerly tiny cat has a little tiny tummy on her! LOL  In fact John referred to the girls today as "Hera and Porky" lolol. 


Hera. You can see her battle scars there, her hair is growing back.

The best birthday carrot cake ever! I made it of course. I'm good at many things. Dieting is NOT one of them.



Joe, John and Mom in John's kitchen, Hera in the background. Isis is in the basement, hiding.

In other happenings I got my cataract taken care of Tuesday. I'm glad that's over. It wasn't as bad as a colonoscopy. But let's face it. Anything that requires you to go to a hospital and take off your underwear is NOT good. Well . . . except for that colostomy reversal . . . that was good! lol And I got some huge, dark glasses to wear around. And I'm an expert at eyedrops now too!
This is how Midge looks at me when I wear my cataract goggles. John called me Ray today. Sigh.

My lantana. It's right by my old codger rocking chair on the patio.

My view from the patio, while sawdust wafts down from the action of the carpenter bees. I know I should do something about them, but they are really interesting. And great pollinators! I think I need to get out  more, if I think carpenter bees are entertaining . . .

This crazy cherry tomato plant is 6 feet tall!
None of my first zucchini seeds came, so I threw in a bunch more. Now I have 2 zucchini plants coming up in a space that is way to small. We'll see what they can do. I do love me some zucchini!
Finn and I are going to start working on our waistlines. Well, as soon as the carrot cake is gone. Our new saying is . . . "If thy waist offends thee . . . WORK IT OFF!"  My kitties are going to the vet for shots Saturday and I'm pretty sure Dr. Dave will have something to say about Finn's weight. LOL
We missed Bernie on the ride today. We went through Verona (he would tell Robert stories and talk about how wonderful Bev was and tell about good times he had at their home); then we went through Ransom (they used to have a good baseball team there!), and then he would tell us that Joe and Josie used to shop in Streator but Dad's folks didn't go there much. He would have loved the long train and God only knows how many times he would have exclaimed, "Look at how big that field is! You can't see the end of it!" lol And he would always say that Streator was too far, he was going to stay home next time. But on the way home he would always 'fess up that he had a really good time! Memories that make me smile and a little sad at same time.  It was a good trip today.

Mom's hand is all better, unless she overdoes it. Hopefully no more falls!

Kay :)

No comments:

Post a Comment