Friday, June 24, 2011

Garden Harvest - Herbs

I had a bumper crop of basil, oregano, thyme and parsley. Decided to make some pesto. Besides the herbs there is garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, sun dried tomatoes (they give it that lovely reddish hue), salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Oh . . . I almost forgot the parmesan cheese. Yum. My first try making pesto on my own, I've only assisted John in this endeavor in the past. I'm calling it "rustic pesto" because it is a trifle coarse, my ancient food processor is not as proficient as John's! LOL  I'm very pleased with the flavor. I'm thinking it would be tasty tossed with some spaghetti squash (Julie!), or spread under the skin of a roasting chicken, I've got lots of ideas.  But my favorite is broiled on bread, topped with cheese, along with a nice salad. Nice to have a tasty treat like that in the freezer.



I could see from the kitchen window that Midge was stalking something, but I wasn't sure what. When I finished in the kitchen I came out to see what she had captured. She was quite proud of herself, having caught herself a pom pom!


And lots of catnip, hung out to dry. 







No comments:

Post a Comment