Saturday, October 29, 2011

It's Just Poop ----- Saturday, October 29

Hi Folks,

Warning . . . graphic medical stuff to follow . . . if you are queasy go back a post and look at the cute cat picture lol.

Doing well. Biggest thing for me now is dealing with this colostomy. Yes, a colostomy. A surprise.  I know John mentioned in his post-surgery pinch hit post that the mass was tangled with a lot of other stuff, so they took the mass, both ovaries, my appendix, and a bit of bowel. The bowel was badly adhered to the mass, and when the surgeons got it loose, there was a section of it that did not pink up well. It was felt that section of the bowel would probably die, and rather than possibly subject me to another major surgery so close on the heels of this mother, the bowel was removed and I have a colostomy now. Had a rough start with this thing, due to its location (and my own anatomy lol), but  thanks to a wonderful nurse at the hospital (thank you Anita!), and a terrific home health nurse courtesy of my insurance company (Bless you Nancy and thank God for good health insurance!), things are looking up. There is a learning curve and practice helps too. The colostomy is temporary, I can get my plumbing hooked back up proper in 3-6 months. In the hospital, when I was having a hard time getting things to stick (lol) and was a bit down and discouraged, Mar summed it up pretty good. She said "It's just poop. You'll deal." And so I shall.

Just a couple more things:

Morris Hospital is terrific. Everybody. I'm so glad I got to have my surgery there and recuperate on Two East after my one night in the Mid ICU thing. Not sure what that is called, but they were terrific there too. The cafeteria food is freakishly good.  The eggs and toast! Wow. If I was going out to breakfast right now, and had my druthers, I'd go to the hospital! It was that good. Crazy, but true! My Mom is a great cook too. Now instead of dialing 3663 and ordering my meals though, I just yell MOM! Though just for fun, later, I'm going to call her on my cell phone and, just like I did at the hospital, ask if I may please order my lunch now . . . lolol.  Shhhh, keep this to yourself, but I could cook my own eggs . . . mums the word on that one folks!

Looking forward to getting my staples out Monday. I guess if you are nervous about taking your bag out for the first time, there are worse places to go than a doctor's office. lol.

And finally, losing some belly weight sure feels good!

I'm going to go for a walk later and get some of this brisk fresh air.

Take care folks,

Kay :)

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that---It's just Poop!!! Glad you are back home and blogging!

    ReplyDelete