Saturday, October 1, 2011

October 1, 2011

I know I'm a day late! My router went out and I am technologically challenged. My weight is the same as last week, which is surprising, considering that my diet turned into the "Corn Dog Diet" thanks to Corn Festival the last couple days!

I was in a soupy mood this a.m., so I cooked, sort of. Trying to utilize my pantry, so my cooking involved opening a lot of cans!

I read a bunch of recipes for Chicken Tortilla Soup and formulated a plan. I used a can of Progresso Hearty Tomato soup for the base, just because I have a ton of it that I got super cheap in my couponing adventures. I threw in some enchilada sauce, stewed tomatoes, black beans, green chiles, fresh corn, sauteed onions, garlic, and green, red and yellow pepper. Then off to market for some chicken, found a big pack of boneless, skinless chicken thighs, reduced for quick sale. Grabbed some sour cream and wanted an avocado, but they were too hard and too expensive for me. Seasoned up the chicken breasts with olive oil, chipotle powder, fajita seasoning, and chili powder from the Spice House in Chicago (yummers), and grilled it off and shredded it with two forks. Threw the whole shebang in crock pot and seasoned it up with some more of the spices. It smelled pretty good in the kitchen at that point. Served it up with a squiggle of sour cream and a squiggle of clearance Wholly Guacamole, and topped it with these little tortilla strips I have had in pantry from Aldi. They taste like little, lightly salted Fritos! Yum. Can't get those again . . .

Anyway the soup was delicious and satisfying and filling and a success! I think I prefer the tomato base over the chicken broth base I have had before. I'm going to start eating more beans and veggies. Look out world!

Camping coming up next weekend. Right now weather sounds delightful, and the menu is not too extravagant. Not that that will stop me from overeating! LOL  But I'm going to try to get some walks in. Shouldn't be too difficult with the fun dogs, Lily and Sophie, available.

Keep up the fight people! And stay away from the corn dogs!

Kay :)

No comments:

Post a Comment