Saturday, July 7, 2012

Losing My Dad

Dad: Make sure I’m dead before you bury me. Stick me with a knife.
Kay: Well, OK. I guess. So if you jump or yell you are maybe not dead?
Dad: Will you be buried with me?
Kay: No, I want to be cremated.
Dad: Well that is just dumb.
Dad to Mom: Make sure I’m dead before you bury me. I’m worried about that. Tell Joe to check too.
Mom: What about Kay?
Dad: You or Joe check.
LOL

All morning Dad talked about church, all morning. Wanted to go to church on Saturday morning, even though there is no mass. Mar had a good idea when I borrowed her family walker yesterday, she had me take her dad’s transport chair. I put Dad in the wheelchair and walked him over to the church, figuring that it would be a good outing, fresh air for him, and he could see there was no mass going on. Plus we best get out early because it’s going to be hotter than blazes later. Grabbed his rosary and a bottle of ice water and my cell phone, just in case of calamity, and off we go. I told him we could go in prayer garden and pray for serenity. Why did he laugh? We get to the church, no cars, no mass, he is disgruntled. Dad: “If there is no mass why are were here? I want to go home.” Damn, where is the rosary? He must have dropped it on one of those bumps I hit (oops, my first time pushing a wheelchair lol) We backtrack, find rosary by prayer garden. Took him home, planted him in the chaise on back patio, put the fan on him, and he had a great nap.

Dad: What time is church tomorrow.
Kay: You can’t go to church tomorrow. You just got out of the hospital. You’ve got weak legs. After you see Dr. Cumba on Friday, if he says its OK, you can go next week.
Dad: Where are my envelopes for church?
Kay: What does it matter, you aren’t going anyway.
Dad: Why not?
Kay: You just got out of the hospital.
Dad: Huh?
Kay: You were in the hospital. You are under the weather. Once you get your strength back you can go to church.
Dad: What time is church tomorrow?
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

It hasn’t been 24 hours since he has been home yet. Seems longer. Is it really only 1:00 in the afternoon? 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment