Sunday, July 29, 2012

Take Me Home

Dad still wants to go home. We tell him he is home, that the farm over by Verona isn't there anymore, nor is his family, but he doesn't believe us. I feel bad that we can't make him happy. Sometimes he seems to recognize us, other times we are just the people who won't take him home.

I took him for a ride the other night, and he confided in me that he was "lonesome" (which is dad-speak for "SAD"), that he doesn't have that farm to go back to, but he's not going to moan about it. He told me that once he finds something to do he'll feel better. He doesn't want to farm or bartend anymore, but he'll find something to do. He told me that he has a good family. I'm not sure that I'm in it though. He calls me Noreen quite often.

He is still obsessed with church, and spends a lot of time at the kitchen table, making up envelopes and doodling. He doodles on money, puzzle pieces, puzzle boxes, pretty much anything. And his donations to the church aren't always money. Sometimes he includes other goodies, like a family photo, a puzzle piece lol, a cookie, and even some pulled pork artfully arranged in a rolled up napkin, and fastened with rubber bands on the ends. Isn't the brain amazing?! I  told him the Catholics did not want his supper leftovers, and he said "What do you know anyway!?" LOLOL   I'm starting to wonder that myself.

He sounds so logical about church. He said he isn't going to be around much longer, and he doesn't want to go to hell, so he has to go to church. He wants me to go with him because he doesn't want me to go to hell either, but I told him I want to go to hell with the rest of my friends.

He also puts sugar in his coffee sometimes, and tonight, when I took him by the church to prove to him that there was no mass going on, he still wanted to try the doors. I told him to go ahead. I mean you have to pass the time some way, right? So off he goes, walking up to the doors, I was watching him from the car, and I saw him going up to the fountain, and I thought oh no, he is not going to! But he did. He stepped up on that fountain, and leaned over to put his hand in the water and made the sign of the cross, and then he stepped right down. The suspense was killing me, is he going to fall in that fountain?!  That is a pretty big step folks. Gosh. I'll try to get a picture of it sometime. Wow.

It was a nice change of pace the other night when he was obsessed with milking instead of church. Much to our amusement, he asked Joe over and over if he was going to milk in the morning. LOLOL. Turns out Dad was never much good at milking. If you see him ask him about it! But only if you have an hour . . . lolol.

He surprises me sometimes, like one day he pretty much did a 300 piece large format jigsaw puzzle by himself. I mean I did the border and the sky, but he did all the rest. Then the next day he couldn't even get one piece in a 100 piece kiddy puzzle. Weird. He stuck them all in the wrong spot.He might "quit" the puzzles and get another job. He asked Mom if he would still get his check if he stopped working on the puzzles. LOL  Mom loves the puzzles, it's nice quiet time for her!

He has trouble at night. He is up and restless. One night I told him Dad, it is OK, you are safe here. We'll watch out for you, you relax and go to sleep. You need some sleep, you are so tired. And he grabbed my hand and squeezed it and shut his eyes and gosh doesn't dementia just suck?

Kay

Midge will show him who is boss. July 26, 2012

Possom Tail continues to heal up. See, he still has a pretty good chunk of tail left. He is a lazy kitty during this heatwave.


No comments:

Post a Comment