Friday, March 7, 2014

Catch Up

Misc. Stuff . . .

Lost Aunt Jean last week. I was worried about telling Dad, wasn't even sure we should, but the only good thing about his dementia/Alzheimer's is that the sadness was fleeting. He was shocked at her passing. He said "She is the toughest one in the family!" We skipped the wake, thought two trips to Joliet so close together would be too much for him, and then headed to the church on Saturday for the funeral. For some reason the priest kept referring to Aunt Jean, whose given name was Phyllis Jean Schulke, but always went by Jean,  as "Mrs. Phyllis". I was sort of like . . .what the hell!? Dad whispered to me during the mass that "Mrs. Phyllis has lots of friends!" Indeed she did. We all had a shot of Canadian Club at the funeral dinner in Aunt Jean's honor, a tiny red-haired woman who could really cut a rug with Uncle Gus. She always brought a huge pan of delicious lasagna to the reunion. That pan of lasagna must have weighed nearly as much as Aunt Jean!  The reunion won't be the same. And she never forgot her Canadian Club! A great loving wife, mom, grandmother, sister, aunt, 3 great kids, beautiful grandchildren who spoke wonderfully and did readings at the mass. Sweet and sad all at once. Well done Aunt Jean and Uncle Gus! I think you yolo'ed very well. I wouldn't mind going out like that, with my family and friends sad, but laughing, drinking a beer, toasting my memory, having a shot, sharing memories. It was lovely. I think she would have been very pleased, especially when her son spoke at the end and we all had a shot in Mrs. Phyllis's memory. She would have gotten a kick out of that Mrs. Phyllis thing for sure. I don't like that it was a funeral, but it is always nice to see the fam.

Dad sort of surprised me at the mass. He wouldn't stop talking. Had I behaved like that as a kid he would have done that fake backhand motion to me! He made a comment about the sermon being long and, having previously informed me that his funeral would probably be next, changed his mind and decided that he looked pretty good. Sigh. And  he amused me by streaking up the aisle to communion incredibly quickly while we were debating who should walk behind him. He left us in the dust! And he did not whisper while he was talking nonstop! LOL He didn't recognize Uncle Jim and was shocked by his white hair. I asked him, "Dad, what color do you think your hair is now?" And of course he answered, "RED!", giving me that wow . . .  you really ask weird questions look!

I found a razzle dazzle red walker at the thrift store. We really didn't NEED it, but when I told John about it he said I must get it, because Dad's nickname used to be RED! So I did. Dad asked me how much I paid for that, could I afford it. I told him $6.99, and he said, "Wow! I'd guess something like that would go for at least $10!" 

Did you know that Dad used to be better at Wheel of Fortune than he is now? He even remembers when it used to be on the radio! LOL

Mom and Dad's 55th anniversary is this Sunday. I heard Mom tell Dad it was their 54th, and advised Mom she'd best check her math! John is coming home for a visit and lunch tomorrow. Dad always enjoys a visit from Brother Pat! LOL I walked in the other day at lunchtime, and Dad said "Norene is here!" It's all in the family folks!

Poor Midge and Finn! They went in for teeth cleaning this week. They came home and were Bobble Head cats. They were bobbing and weaving, trying to hold up their heavy heads, occasionally falling gently onto their sides, seemingly in slow motion. Midge was so out of it she let me hold her like a baby on my shoulder for a bit. Believe me, that does not happen! She even purred. Poor Kay. $500 poorer. But she loves her kitties! Sigh.


Kay :)





No comments:

Post a Comment