Friday, September 7, 2012

TGIF

Hi Folks,

Dad's appointment Wednesday at Hines Veteran Hospital with the neurologist was pretty funny. Mom and I did some silent belly laughing while Dad was getting quizzed by the neurologist, a tiny tiny woman who put the accents on the wrong syllables and confused the hell out of my poor demented father. She did think "papa was very cute and he has hardly no wrinkles" and he is lucky to have us to take care of him. She told Dad that the reason most dementia patients have to go to the nursing home is because their caregivers can't get any rest AT NIGHT and told him he MUST stay IN BED. Hell. Dad doesn't even know he has dementia, and the nursing home is my biggest fear, so I kind of thought she should just shut the F*** up. She really stressed to Dad how bad alcohol is for him, and told him NO ALCOHOL (with much emphasis), which caused Dad to ask coherently and hopefully . . . "maybe just a couple?". LOLOL  Mom and I both found ourselves trying to help him with the tests, I mean the doctor was great, but she talked really really fast and had an accent and she was hard to understand, and yes we were cheating, by trying to help him remember the five things the neurologist listed multiple times, with reminders that she would want him to list the five items back:

1. Sky
2. Table
3. Watch
4. House
5. Dementia is contagious . . .

Mom was pointing at her wrist, which prompted Dad to say "time", I rolled my eyes up at the sky, and Dad gave me his "Wow do I have a really really weird daughter look.". Anyway the trip was kind of a waste of time, and Dad's dementia is advanced, and that is how it is now. We got him some sliders and coffee and some french silk pie, so he was pretty happy. I really think he enjoyed the ride, though he said at least 20 times that he hoped he would never have to drive himself up there, because he might get lost.

We are in Madison tonight, and gosh it is a zoo! Turns out there is an Ironman Triathlon this weekend.Check-in place is right by our hotel. Lots of toned, buff bodies about, so we fit right in!




We had a fun trip up, hit some thrifts, found some fun jigsaw puzzles, so to do, some to sell. We had a nice lunch at the Old Fashion (no, I didn't forget the "ed"!)Bakery/Deli, grabbed a sammy and a treat (or 2), and took them to a riverside park in Beloit. Mine was provolone, american, mortadella, turkey, ham, salami, lettuce, tomato, special sauce, on a  yummy roll. Wow, it was good! Called home and Mom had had a good night with Dad, and he was having a good day today, so it was easier to relax and have fun.

Had picnic lunch here.


Came and checked into our hotel and took a walk, and had dinner at The Old Fashioned. I know. Almost same name as the lunch place! It was good. I let John order. But I would have corrected the order if it was stuff I didn't like. Kay like beer. Beer good.

John surprised me by having a beer. He wasn't sure if he wanted a whole one, so I took a few slugs off the top. I'm very helpful to have around in those situations.

Kay like beer. Beer good.

Onion straws with some paprika dipping sauce anyone?

Friday fish fry.

Cheeseburger and the best cheese curds ever!

No thanks, we don't need a container for leftovers . . . ever! LOL




Took a walk after dinner.


Off to farmer's market in the a.m, it's just a couple of blocks away. I'm glad we got a spot in hotel garage because parking is going to be crazy around here!

Have a nice weekend all.

Kay :)

No comments:

Post a Comment