Saturday, July 27, 2013

66 Degrees of July

Hi folks,

This break in the heatwave is nice.

One thing about dementia, every time Dad takes a bite of garden tomato, it's "the first tomato I've had this summer!" LOL  Oh the pleasure!

Darn it! I thought I had rid myself of all zucchini yesterday by taking 2 to work, but nooo, I found one hiding this a.m. and I made a chocolate zucchini cake. Later I'm going to sprinkle sifted powdered sugar over it and have a wee slice. Haha just kidding. Be right back . . . thumbs up on chocolate zucchini cake made with buttermilk and pecans!


I found these potatoes right on top of the soil in the potato bed. I guess when you plant taters in a rather shallow raised bed they are self-digging taters? Whatever you want to call them, wow they were delish. Those are grape tomatoes, too big for my liking, but they do have good flavor. And clearly the Midge/Finn fertilizer mixture is powerful stuff. Look at that weird glow . . .

Midge is dwarfed by the giant zucchini leaves.


This tall sunflower has giant leaves and has morning glories climbing it like crazy. If only it would bloom! LOL



Family reunion coming up in two weeks. How the last year has flown by! Just last year at this time Dad was coming off of his hospitalization and we were getting used to the dementia/Alzheimer thing and Dad was cantankerous and ornery. I look at photos from that time and Dad looks crazy in the eyes. They say it takes a village to raise a child, and I say it takes a village to care for someone with dementia. I don't know how old couples do it alone when one takes ill. We are lucky to be able to care for Dad. Things could definitely be worse, that's for sure. Thank goodness his condition and mood didn't stay like they were when he first got out of the hospital. He's happy most of the time and he is pretty stable on his feet as well.

My poor bedroom! Emptied out except for the bed and the TV and a table. Walls scrubbed, carpet removed. I like cozy rooms, and there is nothing cozy about it now! It's plain and dinged and loud and echoey. It totally freaks Midge out. LOL Can't wait to have it all finished up. Hopefully in a about a week to ten days it will be finished. I've been shopping on line, nice to have things brought right to the house, especially when you have a gimpy knee. I have an appointment Monday to see about some other injection that might help my knee. I have my fingers crossed.

Have a good weekend.

Kay :)



No comments:

Post a Comment